Saturday, January 14, 2006

So there's this new show that is starting on the main norwegian tv channel today. Tore på sporet. And it's sparking a bit of a debate. From what I gather, the show is much about him helping adopted people to find their biological parents. There are probably other issues too, but that is what is causing the debate.
Being adopted myself, I find it kind of interesting.
I understand, and respect, that alot of adoptives do feel a great need to find their birth parents and get some answers. But I don't think it should be viewed as a saturday evening entertainment. It is a much too serious issue. And I doubt a show like that will be able to show the complexities of this subject.
Some people are saying, well if you don't like it, just don't watch it. But that's not the point. It's the possible consequences of the show. I just think when you are dealing with an issue like that, one must be a bit careful. It does stand at great risk of romanticising the whole idea of the reunion. If it just show the happy ones, all those that makes you go 'aaahhh.. that warms my heart', it can create this romantic idea that if you find your birth parents all your problems will be solved. And.. well, there are so many things, but I guess I should watch the show before I go on..

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Vembi said...

Yeah I know that people that contact the show probably are perfectly aware of what they are going into. And I do think it's a good thing that he puts a great deal of effort into helping them, because I assume he does it for free.. I mean that they don't have to pay.. so it's good for the people that don't have the finances of doing it on their own.
I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really give a comment on it. I'm glad to hear it's not all happy endings, but I still have concernes, and still don't think the issues are appropriate for a saturday evening entertainment show..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home