Monday, May 30, 2005

So my professor wasn't to happy with me not having been at school for the last three days.. Not pleased that I left early to go see Magnet at an in-store concert either.. He's beginning to get on my nerves, my professor that is.. But when I think about it, I guess he's right. I should work harder.. Never going to finish in time..
But let's forget about that and focus on what's important. Good music.
Magnet is brilliant. And although he only played 5 songs (3 new(Duracellia, The Pacemaker, Fall At Your Feet(I think), 2 old(On your side and I forget the last one)) it was well worth the dissapointing look I got when I left the lab early. Everyone should buy The Tourniquet. I think it's his best one yet.. Granted it haven't had time to really sink in yet. But so far - loving it!
It's a tiny recordstore, so I was wondering how they were going to fit him and a crowd in there. The others I've been to have been in a big two-story store.. But it worked - it was only him, a nice looking guitar and two speakers in a corner - and only about 35 people watching. Why were there not more people coming to see this brilliant, and surprisingly short, man..

The positive thing about the tiny crowd was that there were no freakishly tall people blocking the view. Well, maybe they were, but he was kind enough to ask all the people in front to sit down. (What a nice, thoughtful guy..) Also got him to sign the cd. I've never bothered trying to get anything signed before. Not one for standing in neverending lines, or outside hotels, just to get to meet, or see, someone famous. Never understood the joy of autographs either.. ok, not completly true.. collected a few in my younger days.. but I mean, it's just their signature..or not even that. I remember some of the ones I got was just like a swirly inkline.. But since the line was pretty short, I had bought the cd, and he had a silver sharpie in his hand - I got him to deface his cd cover.. (Also it's nice to get too meet someone you admire just to say how much you appreciate their work..)


Even Johansen a.k.a Magnet

Signed: All the best! Even Johansen.. at least I think that's what it's supposed to say..

2 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Blogger Robyn said...

I skipped a class once (the only time, actually) to see Magnet perform. It was a pointless class though and my teacher didn't notice. Even if he had, it's worth it, eh? ;) Thanks for the rundown of the performance, I wish I could've been there. Too bad there weren't more people...that seems to be the case many times.

Also, Picaresque is an awesome album.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Vembi said...

Always worth cutting school to see a great artist. Upped the number of onlookers to 35.. Was a bit more crowded when I thought about it.. but still.. the other ones I've been too - there have been more like 150 people.. Probably because they are loud 'rock n' roll bands'. But then, Magnet is the most famous of them all.. And now he's on my radio:) I love this radio!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home