Sunday, May 22, 2005

New music I've found while avoiding writing an article.. Ok, not new - but new to me.. The Robot Ate Me. Strange lo-fi indie stuff.. Made me feel happy. I often don't pay too much attention to the lyrics when I first hear something. Was singing along to some tracks and suddenly realised that I was singing: "How many does it take to be a slaughter? I can't use the word genocide, because I went to the convention, I didn't read what I signed"
Remindes me a bit of Neutral Milk Hotel.. and the Real Tuesday Weld. Have listened a bit more to Tuesday Weld too. But I think I like them/him better live than on cd. I do like the set they played on Morning Becomes Eclectic. Must read I, Lucifer when I'm done with my exams.. Started reading Weathercock, which was quite amusing, but for some reason I never got through it..
Pedro the Lion. Not sure what I think yet. Liked their cover of Mazzy Star's Fade Into You.
Also been revisiting Elliott Smith. Been a while since I've listend to him. My god, he was great. The only artist I can clearly remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that he had killed himself.
And Roxy Music. Working at a festival where thay are playing this summer, so I thought I should make myself more familiar with their music. I mean, I've heard a bunch of their stuff - much more than I realised.. But you know... never really listened to them.. I like alot of their songs, but I won't be rushing out to buy their albums..
Oh, and I saw My Life without me. Sara Polley is very good. But anyway. Really liked the song Senza fine by Gino Paoli. Also made me feel happy. Which is good, because I've been in a really shitty mood these past few.. well, weeks actually.. Have no idea what he sings about though, so maybe it's a really depressing song.. But it sounds feel-good..
And I finally found the mp3's of the songs Jeremy Enigk did for United States of Leland. I LOVE them. Not helping my mood though.. Was thinking of bidding on a copy of Return of the frog queen on ebay, but decided I don't have the money.. Hmm.. I seem to be drawn to these born again christian artists.. David Bazan from Pedro the Lion... and Rosie Thomas also found Jesus, didn't she.. Still haven't gotten my copy of When we were small.. Maybe I'll be converted.. Maybe they have some hidden messages in their songs. Or maybe not so hidden.. "How am I to define what faith is to a child when the only explanation lies within? How am I to tell them if they never follow Christ that heaven doesn't hold a place for them?" (I have a friend who is truly concerned about me, because I'm going to hell..) I don't mind listening to music where people sing about their faith. As long as I don't feel like they are trying to shove their beliefs down my throath, or that I feel like I'm being judged for not sharing their views..
No, enough time waisted. Back to the article..


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home